VMWare 3.2.1 :: SMP support broken in 5.2-RELEASE

David Dollar ddollar at grepninja.com
Sat Jan 31 12:17:01 PST 2004

I've recently tried to install VMWare 3.2.1 from portsemulation/vmware3)
onto my 5.2-RELEASE system. I'm running an SMP kernel, using P4
HyperThreading.

I've come across an inability to use VMWare, that I've tracked down to
the vmmon_smp.ko driver, and the following lines of code

**[vmware-distrib/vmmon-only/freebsd/driver.c]**[line 313]**************

#if __FreeBSD_version >= 501113

       /* XXX This is temporary until a fix */
printf(DEVICE_NAME ": SMP support for this release is BROKEN.\n");

return EINVAL;

#endif

These lines of code prevent the module from loading on my 5.2-RELEASE
system. Does anyone know what causes SMP to be unsupported for releases
later than 5.1?

I tried forcing around this check, recompling, and got VMWare to
successfully launch, but on power on of the virtual machine, it reported
an unsupported CPU bit.

If anyone could let me know if there is any attempt to fix this issue,
or whether any progress has been made towards identifying and
eliminating the problem, I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Thanks in advance,
David

--
David Dollar