FreeBSD and SCO UNIX

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Dec 21 11:21:00 PST 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:06:29AM -0000, DSA - JCR wrote:
> Hi all :
>
> I have a system (goverment type one) running SCO UNIX on an old system
> without RAID and so, and I would like to port it to FreeBSD 5.3, in order
> to take all its advantages.
>
> My question are:
> - Is FreeBSD 5.3 well tested in order to emulate SCO UNIX?

Not really.  I think I saw a post from someone about it fairly recently,
but it's certaintly not well tested.

> - This system uses a database from Progress Software Corp. v. 8.3, has
> anyone used/ported it under FreeBSD ? it is safe?

I have no idea.

> - If I port to FreeBSD, the tree structure is the same than SCO? may I
> have problems or can I solve them?

The directory struct is probably fairly different since SCO is a SysV
derivative and we're obvioulys BSD based.   Is there some particular
reason you need to migrate?  If the existing system works and the
hardware is in decent shape, I'd be strong tempted to leave it alone.

-- Brooks