vmware 3.x port and FreeBSD-5.2.1-Release.

Marco Trentini mark at remotelab.org
Tue Aug 3 05:19:22 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:22:53PM +0300, feobsd at ukr.net wrote:
> Please,  help  me.  I  installed  vmware  3.x  port as of 2004-08-01
> (2004-07-27,   2004-07-07   also)   on   FreeBSD-5.2.1-Release   and
> FreeBSD-5.2-Release. It's all the same.
>
> XFree86 version 4.3.0
> KDE Release 3.1.4
>
> I run vmware in console, create new VM, try to run it but see message
> "Cannot attach shared memory segment: Invalid argument.
> Failed to initialize SVGA device."
>
> I  try  recopmile kernel with disabled options SMP and device apic but
> the message is also.
>
> What do I have to do for run my VM on FreeBSD? Please, give me help or
> link to read about it.

root at vaio # cat pkg-message
Get Linux procfs ready and initialize vmmon/vmnet as follows:

        ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh start

then you'll be ready to start vmware.

If you experience freezes on power on, be sure that the
ACPI module is not loaded.

Don't forget to load the kernel module aio.ko, or
options VFS_AIO in the kernel.  Otherwise expect problems.

If you have fairly recent 5.x system or running vmware3
on FreeBSD 4.x, make sure that you have sysctl
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed set to 1, otherwise you will get

Cannot attach shared memory segment: Invalid argument.
Failed to initialize SVGA device.

errors on "Power On".

You can add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:
--- cut here ---
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1
--- cut here ---

Don't miss the documents installed:

        vmware(1) ${PREFIX}/share/doc/vmware/*

If you want to learn more on how to configure vmnet
interfaces for multiple instances of VMware, please refer to

  ${PREFIX}/share/doc/vmware/MultipleInstances.FreeBSD

Marco Trentini                mark at remotelab.org
http://www.remotelab.org/