Making Picostation m2HP work

Luiz Otavio O Souza lists.br at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:48:57 UTC 2013

On 16 July 2013 00:52, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Right,
>
> you have to get the mdio bus configured up right, then attach arswitch to
> it.
>
> Then you tell arge0/arge1 what PHY it speaks to, via Stefan's mdioproxy
> stuff.
>
> _then_ arge0/arge1 will come up.
>
> Now, as for how you do that - i'd have to re-read the datasheet and
> write some documentation:
>
> * one of them (I think arge0) is directly glued to arswitch with no
> PHY per se - it's hard-programmed with a MIIbus mode (RMGII I think?)
> and 100/full or 1000/full

It's usually the arge1 which is dedicated to switch and it's
hard-programmed as 1000/full (even when the switch ports are just 10/100).

arge0 is the 'WAN' port (using the dedicated PHY 4).

The MDIO is at arge0 on ar7240 and at arge1 on ar7241.

[...]

> I'll follow this up with a post explaining how the miibus, mdiobus,
> mdioproxy stuff and how arswitch is configured. Then I'll braindump
> that into the wiki.

Thanks Adrian!

Stefan also has a nice documentation about how this stuff fits together:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/StefanBethke/EtherSwitch
http://www.bsdcan.org/2012/schedule/attachments/201_BSDCan-2012-Bethke-Ethernet-Switch-Framework.pdf

Luiz