GEOM_LZMA

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 20 14:48:37 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:26:44PM +0200, Alexandr Rybalko wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:49:55 +0100
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >> IMHO it should first be unified, really. Once it is committed the
> >> chances are much lower that it will be unified.
> >>
> >> Alexandr, would you like to implement some more general geom_compress
> >> class or something like that where it is easier to add new algorithms?
> >> You can look at geom_label, which is more or less implemented that way.
>
> It`s possible, but I think primary usage for it is a embedded, so we need smallest one and only one.
> Now in my boxes I use only geom_ulzma.
>
> Only one thing make Adrian idea as wished: gzip already in kernel for other things.
> But if world produce new compressor fines than xz/lzma we must drop lzma and use new one.

Well, world is not that simple, I think:) Some algorithms are faster at
decompressing, some compress better, so use less resources to
decompress, etc. FreeBSD provides tools, not policies, right? Let's the
administrator choose which algorithm fits best his needs.

As for the code size, it should be trivial to decide which algorithms we
want to compile in.