"gpart set -a active" not changing boot loader

Uffe Jakobsen uffe at uffe.org
Wed Aug 17 08:08:32 UTC 2011

On 2011-08-16 20:16, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> # gpart set -a active -i 2 ad0
> active set on ad0s2
>
> `gpart show` confirms that it was done.
>
> However, when booting I get:
>
> 1   FreeBSD
> 2   FreeBSD
>
> Default: 1
>
> … and `gpart show` now shows the first partition as the active one.
>
> Is my boot loader too old or some such?   This is a NanoBSD system that might have been upgraded since some 6.x version.

boot0 setting and the active partition mark in the partition table is
having the usual disagreements... I've never come around to get the
completely picture of the problem - but see the problem it quite ofent.

Display boot0 settings:
boot0cfg -v /dev/ad0

Update boot0 settings to reflect your gpart wish:
boot0cfg -v -s 2 /dev/ad0

/Uffe