NanoBSD (8.1-STABLE): can not boot with boot0sio & can not change boot0cfg / active partition

Maciej Milewski milu at dat.pl
Wed Sep 29 11:21:03 UTC 2010

Dnia środa 29 wrzesień 2010 o 11:32:54 Lev Serebryakov napisał(a):
> Hello, Freebsd-embedded.
>
>   I have two problems with NanoBSD built from 8.1-STABLE sources
>
>   (1)    I    have  serial console configured for speed 115200. I have
>   "BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200"  setting,  but  boot0sio hangs. "mbr"
>   works  fine,  but  "boot0cfg"  can  not change booting slice in this
>   case.
>
>   (2)  When  I  try  to use fdisk to change booting slice ("fdisk -1 -a
>   ad0")  it  complains after all questions (why, oh, why fdisk doesn't
>   have "not ask anything" mode WITHOUT config file?!):
>
> Should we write new partition table? [n] y
> fdisk: Class not found
> fdisk: Failed to write sector zero
> hostname#
>
>   boot0cfg can not install boot0sio too:
>
> hostname# boot0cfg -B -b /boot/boot0sio ad0
> boot0cfg: write_mbr: /dev/ad0: Operation not permitted
> hostname#
>
>  So,  I  can  not  upgrade  NanoBSD  in-place,  because I can not swap
>  bootable partition :(
It has been changed in head[1] but not MFC to any RELENG.
phk, can you fix this in the RELENG_8?

The working solution is to use gpart as a replacement for boot0cfg:
gpart set -a active -i 1 ${NANO_DRIVE}

1.http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/tools/tools/nanobsd/Files/root/updatep1?view=log

Regards,
Maciej Milewski