Soekris net5501-70 & NanoBSD 8.1: some problems

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Sep 19 20:37:25 UTC 2010

In message: <1848021077.20100919234214 at serebryakov.spb.ru>
            Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org> writes:
: Hello, Freebsd-embedded.
:
:  I'm  upgrading  my  net5501-70  from 7.1-STABLE ("simple install") to
:  NanoBSD 8.1-STABLE and have some problems:
:
:  (1)  "stray  irq7"  messages. Google shows such problems for very old
:  systems  with  LPT  ports, but not for 8.x and soekris, which doesn't
:  have LPT. dmesg.boot doesn't show any devices (known or unknown) with
:  irq 7.

Stray IRQ7 could mean that there's a printer problem (because IRQ7 is
connected to the printer port controller).  It could also mean that
the hardware you are running things on doesn't properly latched (but
that's really old 486-era chipsets).

I've not seen that on my soekris box, however.  I'm not sure what to
make of it.

:  (2)  DHCP  on  vr1  doesn't  work. I have "ifconfig_vr1="DHCP"" in my
:  /etc/rc.conf  and  it works for 7.1 install, but on 8.1 I can not see
:  any evidenced of DHCP client :(

what happens if you run it by hand?  What does ifconfig vr1 show?

:  (3)   Firewall  script  works  strange:  it  is  configured  to  file
:  "/etc/firewall"  and  this  file  is  present  in image, but it loads
:  "loopback" and "mandatory" parts foe /etc/rc.firewall and complains:
:
:  Line 48: vr1: cannot get interface address
:
:   What does I do wrong?

Not sure what to tell you about that...

Warner
:
: --
: // Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>
: