CFT: arduino-0019 port

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Sep 16 14:31:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Marcin Cieslak wrote:

> FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0 r212217: Thu Sep  9 15:57:36 CEST 2010
> on amd64

I'm using 8-stable i386.

> packages:
>
> avrdude-5.10
> rxtx-jdk16-2.1.7r2_5
> jdk-1.6.0.3p4_3

Your jdk is a little old.  jdk-1.6.0.3p4_17 is current.

> (1) First, opening a Tools menu has a noticeable delay (although not that bad
> as on Windows, it's literally seconds there). Sometimes Tools menu
> (esp. for a first time opens without "Board" and "Port" selection items.

There's a serial port access when that menu is touched.  It causes D13
to flash on a test board, probably just a reset on the Arduino.

> (2) After startup with default sketch window, I try to open
> Examples -> ArduinoISP. It opens in a second window, but the first
> one flickers badly at the bottom. Both windows seem to work (menu
> opens there etc. but flickering is very annoing).
>
> I am using dwm non-reparenting window manager (x11-wm/dwm) that
> changes window size automatically, maybe it's related to this.

Haven't seen that on xfce4.  A quick test shows that dwm... will
take more than a quick test to figure out.

> (3) Quitting JVM is low (after Arduino windows close it takes
> a while to get back to the command line).

Not seen here, but there are too many differences to say why.

> (4) Compilation and upload using avrdude worked fine.

Excellent!

> (5) Attempt to use serial monitor results in a crash.
>
> I tried first time with /dev/cuaU1 (where Arduino running ArduinoISP
> is connected) - serial monitor opened, I switched from 9600 to 192000
> but after entering "space", "zero"
> and "^T" in the box and pressing "Send", JVM crashed. (crash hs_err_pid40041.log).
>
> Second time I tried with /dev/cuaU0 (Arudino running amforth)
> opening Serial Monitor caused this immediately (crash hs_err_id55889.log).

Both crashes are in rxtx, although maybe not its fault.  freebsd-java
list denizens might be able to shed light on it.

Thanks!