Catching /etc/rc's output

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Feb 13 02:32:44 UTC 2010

In message: <CD175D72-0E1A-4F8D-870B-E9509EAEE51A at jump-ing.de>
            Markus Hitter <mah at jump-ing.de> writes:
:
: Am 12.02.2010 um 21:39 schrieb Paul Schenkeveld:
:
: > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:52:44PM +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
: >>
: >> Hello all,
: >>
: >> it's seemingly such a basic question, but I can't find a way to
: >> redirect
: >> /etc/rc's output to a file. Editing /etc/syslog.conf changed nothing,
: >> /var/log/messages still stops where /etc/rc should begin. I can see
: >> the
: >> output on the console, but that's far to fast for the human eye. Short
: >> of
: >> hooking up a serial console to catch the log on a second machine, is
: >> there
: >> a way to get this output logged into a file?
: >
: > Try 'dmesg -a'
:
: That's it. Thanks, Paul.
:
: Obviously, this stuff is in RAM only, so searching the file system was
: the wrong place ...

Well, you can also put the following in your syslog.conf:

console.info  /var/log/console.log

and reboot or restart things in the usual way.  Maybe that's what you
are looking for?

Warner