NanoBSD on VMware (no serial console)

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sun Sep 13 20:13:10 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I used qemu-img (on a Linux box) to convert my nanobsd image to vmdk
(vmware disk) format to try booting it on VMware.

When I'm booting on that image, it gets stuck at the "BTX loader 1.00
BTX version is 1.02" line.  I suspect because my NanoBSD image is
setup to just boot on devices with serial ports (which is all I've
needed so far).

What do I need to do to make it work with either a regular monitor or
the serial port if there's no keyboard/monitor?

For boot0cfg I use boot0sio, do I need to make two separate images
just to have different boot loaders?

I also have

hint.atkbdc.0.disabled="1"

in my boot/loader.conf -- I can't figure out where the documentation
for that is, but I'm guessing for my "PC boot" image I need to not
have that, right?

  - ask