Wi-Fi hotspot simple authentication

Odd-Jarle Kristoffersen gamuso at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:43:55 UTC 2008

Hello,

Not sure which FreeBSD mailing-list this was most suited for, so I am
trying here first.

Been a FreeBSD-user for some years now, and mainly used it for
firewall and web-hosting applications.

I seem to recall stumbling across some information once upon a time
about how to set up a simple WiFi access point that required a
username and/or password web-based logon to access the Internet...

What I want to accomplish is having a FreeBSD box wither with a built-
in WiFi AP card, or with two ethernet interfaces where one is
connected to a WiFi AP box. The other ethernet connected to a DSL-
line. The WiFi should not have any WEP/WPA or any type of encryption.
It should be completely open.

Now for the tricky part. I want everyone who connects to this
hotspot / AP to get a welcome webpage no matter which website they try
to access at first. On this webpage they can just click a button to
verify they read the disclaimer and gain full Internet access for the
rest of their session.

This system is intended for a non-profit guest harbor application that
just wants to provide some basic information about the premises and
the available local services, and provide any boat guests with free
Internet during their stay.

Is something like this at all possible using some spare computer parts
and FreeBSD? Any exisiting boot-cd or similar systems out there
already that you know of?

Thanks
Odd-Jarle