Problem with NanoBSD login

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Tue Oct 28 06:25:04 UTC 2008

Am 28.10.2008 um 06:38 schrieb Espartano:

> hi people, i have created a NanoBSD image, it boot pretty well.
>
> I'm trying to authenticate as root using a serial console but NanoBSD
> doesn't show the correct login prompt, instead NanoBSD show strange
> chars and it doesn't let me login in the system.

[...]
> cp: utimes: /var/var: No such file or directory
> cp: chown: /var/var: No such file or directory
> cp: chmod: /var/var: No such file or directory
> cp: chflags: /var/var: No such file or directory

Why is it looking for /var/var ? This dir usually doesn't exist.

> Sat Jan  1 00:01:04 UTC 2000
> àààà

Looks like you did something wrong in /etc/ttys, especially in it's
line for /dev/ttyd0. Did you perhaps configure it to dial a modem?

> At this point the keyboard doesn't respond me and i can't authenticate
> as root and change the password for use ssh later,

There are switches in /etc/ssh/sshd_config with the self-explaining
names PermitRootLogin and AllowEmptyPassword. This could help you.

HTH,
MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/