Best FreeBSD version for NanoBSD on an old SBC

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Tue Dec 30 03:37:48 UTC 2008

Hi Folks

I am putting together a machine to act as a GPS-disciplined time server
(NTPd with kernel PPS) and acquire data from my 1-Wire weather system
(OWW).

The hardware I have to hand are a Pentium SBC with 16Mb RAM and a 12Gb
laptop disc.

I assume that the best OS to put on this would be NanoBSD but was
wondering if there was a specific version of FreeBSD that would be best
to base it on.  (Recent experience with a certain other Unix-like OS has
taught me that newer versions suck with older hardware; I don't know if
this is the case with FreeBSD.)

I can get away with putting a bigger disc on although I don't
particularly want to as this would cause issues with the power supply.
(Using a vehicle power supply so that I can run it on float-charged gel
cells.)  The RAM, however, can't go any bigger.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/