Wake-on-lan packages don't get through

Paul Schenkeveld fb-embedded at psconsult.nl
Thu Dec 18 01:59:37 PST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 09:58:53AM +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:

> Am 16.12.2008 um 20:13 schrieb Paul Schenkeveld:
>
>> On some of my machines I need to explicitely send the packet to the
>> IP LAN broadcast address, e.g. 192.168.1.255 (assuming /24 netmask).
>
> This did the trick, finally. Those checksums reported as being bad were
> obviously a red herring.

Does your network card support checksum offload (TXCSUM set in ifconfig
options)?  In that case tcpdump on the output interface will show bad
checksums as the checksum gets calculated later on by the card.  If you
tcpdump on another computer in the same LAN you'll see the wake-on-lan
packets with correct checksums.

> Thanks for helping,

You're welcome.

> MarKus