How to notify for maintenance

Henrik Brix Andersen brix at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 9 13:50:55 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 10:29:37PM +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
> Am 09.12.2008 um 21:09 schrieb Henrik Brix Andersen:
>
> > Turn the scenario the other way around and have the trusted 'remote'
> > computer initiate the maintenance at given intervals?
>
> The unfortunate thing I forgot is, the web server is the only one
> meant to run around the clock. All others go to sleep, but can be
> woken on demand (by a special network ping).

How about making them wake-up on a timer event instead? Many BIOS'es
support this.

If this isn't good for you, you could perform the WoL as described
above and still have the trusted, newly awakened host initiate the
connection.

Brix
--
Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at FreeBSD.org>