How to notify for maintenance

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Tue Dec 9 10:11:44 PST 2008

Hello all,

my TinyBSD box is running fine and for security reasons, I've removed
(almost) everything executable. One of the few remainings is
lighttpd, to make a web server.

The small problem now is, this box needs some moderately complex
maintenance from time to time which I want to do from the outside
(another computer). Storing root keys and software to use it on the
same computer running lighttpd doesn't make me feel good.

The question is: How would I securely notify another computer to do
this (automatic) maintenance? Whatever I think of, this requires at
least an ssh certificate and is pretty universal allowing it to be
used to trigger harmful things as well.

Any insight to best practices is welcome.

Thanks,
Markus Hitter

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/