How to support a TrueIDE (ATA) NANDrive chip

Andrew Duane aduane at juniper.net
Thu Dec 4 14:25:19 PST 2008

We have an SST NANDrive chip on our board that supports the simple ATA
command set. What's the easiest way to get support for this into our
kernel so we can partition and mount the device?

Using "da" and "umass" isn't really an option, since it is neither SCSI,
nor attached to USB. Pulling in all of "ata" seems like overkill; all we
really need is read/write block and some simple sense commands. They are
all synchronous, it's low traffic and we are more concerned with
simplicity than performance. Is there some subset of "ata" I can use
that won't involve pci bus, controllers, etc? We just want to be able to
write the LBA, SECT_CNT, and GO command and read the data.

--

Andrew Duane             Juniper Networks
978-589-0551             10 Technology Park Dr