PAM errors with NANOBSD

Sean Bruno sbruno at miralink.com
Thu Aug 21 22:14:51 UTC 2008

Sean Bruno wrote:
>> I seem to be stumped by my latest issue with NANOBSD.
>> I can't login to the console due to missing pam libs and such.  Any
>> and all calls to sudo seem to be blowing up as well.  I can only
>> assume that something from my build system is causing pam to be
>> configured.  Even though I have explicitly set NO_PAM=YES in my
>> NANOConf, I seem to be jamming up on pam.  If I remove the NO_PAM
>> entry, I get the same failure.  So perhaps NO_PAM doesn't mean what I
>> think it means?
>>
>> Anyone have a clue what the heck is going on here?

> Here's an example from my last build.  The system seems to boot fine,
> but then is completely useless at startup:
>
> FreeBSD/i386 (Amnesiac) (ttyd0)
>
> login: root
> Aug 21 07:50:22  login: in openpam_load_module(): no pam_unix.so found
> Aug 21 07:50:22  login: pam_start(): system error
>
> FreeBSD/i386 (Amnesiac) (ttyd0)
>
> login:

adding or removing "NO_PAM=YES" from the NANOBSD configuration has no
impact on whether or not PAM get's built.  So, I'm not sure what the
heck is going on now.

I mounted the diskimage on my system and verified that
/usr/lib/pam_unix.so exists and is properly built.  Any ideas as to why
my disk image is acting like this?

--
Sean Bruno
MiraLink Corporation