Porting FreeBSD to the Neo1973 (arm920t)

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Sep 18 06:56:50 PDT 2007

In message: <20070918115334.569521c1 at sol.hackerzberg.local>
            Marius Nuennerich <marius.nuennerich at gmx.net> writes:
: Hi all,
:
: Andrew Turner and me are currently exploring what to do about getting
: FreeBSD to run on the Neo1973. Andrew put up some first instructions
: here: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD
:
: Much information about the hardware can be found in that wiki. We are
: currently stuck after loading the kernel because there is no
: framebuffer driver (yet) and the uart is not working.
:
: I'm using qemu right now because I have no hardware yet.

Are there instructions for that posted somewhere.  Last time I tried
to get it going I hit all kinds of snags.

: Any idea what to do next? How to get the uart working? And how to tell
: the kernel to use it as console?

Chances are very good that you'll need more than just the uart.  The
uart for the samsung devices will need a driver written for it.
You'll also need to initialize memory in some way that's unique for
this SoC

: Many Thanks
: Marius
:
: P.S. Should I have posted this to freebsd-arm?

This is radically cool!

I'd love to see FreeBSD going on this phone, and would help out as
best I can.  I was going to buy one, but my cash flow won't allow it
until I can sell some real estate :-(.

Warner