remote binary upgrade from 4.10 to 6.2

David Yeske dyeske at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 14:30:56 PDT 2007

I have a lot of appliances in the field running FreeBSD.  These
machines do not have a working compiler.  They need to be upgraded
from FreeBSD 4.10 to FreeBSD 6.2.  Has anyone gone through this
successfully?  Does anyone have pointers on a clean way to do this?
Due to the lack of console support for most of these machines, booting
from the 6.2 cd will not work.  This has to be a remote binary
upgrade.  I need to have FreeBSD 4.10 install FreeBSD 6.2, although
this could be done in stages with multiple reboots.  I want to avoid
upgrading from FreeBSD 4.10 to 5.5 to 6.2.  It appears that FreeBSD
6.2 runs just fine on UFS1.

Regards,
David Yeske