customized strip down freebsd OS (less than 50MB)

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 18 17:51:34 UTC 2007

In message: <464DD48B.1070202 at adventnet.com>
            bsenthil <bsenthil at adventnet.com> writes:
: Hi,
:
: I am looking for mini freebsd customized OS (less than 50MB). Is it
: possible to customize the freebsd to below 50MB?
:
: The list of modules i run over freebsd OS
: 1. TCP/IP stack
: 2. package installation.
: 3. File read and write operation
: 4. Apache server

Web server, you mean?  Apache and small aren't mates.

: What is the minimum size of the stripped freebsd OS ?

I've booted a minimal FreeBSD/arm ramdisk that fits in a 8MB flash
part.  I have a fuller FreeBSD/arm system that's 42MB (uncompressed),
including a 15MB JRE/web tools, approx 6MB of snmp support code, and
~4MB of application code.  The minimal system is like 16MB (numbers
rounded).  This includes thttpd, which supports many of the things
apache does, but is much smaller.

For a different product, I have a 13MB FreeBSD/i386 base with 2MB of
application code.

: Please let me know detail/link how to customize freebsd OS.

I'd use the tinybsd tools in FreeBSD.  We did this with a customized
set of build tools that we've been using since before there was a
tinybsd...

Warner