New architecture support (fwd)

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 1 08:53:55 UTC 2006

At Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:50:10 +0100 (BST),
rwatson wrote:

> Since embedded is both driving (and reliant on) new architecture
> support, does it make sense to create some documentation on what
> hardware ports involve?  I mean both "from scratch" and
> "incremental".  If someone has notes, I'm sure we could get some
> help in converting it into a developer's handbook chapter or
> article.  Since new hardware ports for FreeBSD appear to be done
> with moderate frequency, the knowledge is definitely out there.

There are basically two improvements in our docs that would make
things easier.  Better "porting" docs and better "driver" docs.
Geting basic driver support in a BSP (Board Support Package) is the
key to getting a board up and running.

If people have notes I can try to corral them.  If people want to try
updating the developers handbook without my corralling, even better.

Later,
George