Can't use plugins installed inside eclipse after updating to 3.7.1

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 4 15:31:40 UTC 2012

on 04/07/2012 17:31 Attila Nagy said the following:
> Hi,
>
> I've just recently updated to eclipse 3.7.1 (from ports) and since then I can't
> use plugins (CDT and pydev) installed from eclipse (via help->install new software
> etc).
> The error is the same as described here:
> http://eggbung.blogspot.hu/2010/01/pydev-fails-no-editor-descriptor.html
> What I've tried already: completely purge my ~/.eclipse and workspace directories,
> run and compile (who knows) it with the all the JDKs (jdk16, openjdk16/17).
>
> One thing I found so far is in /usr/local/lib/eclipse/eclipse.ini there is
> -Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory=/usr/local/share/eclipse/dropins
>
> but that directory is empty. The only dropins directory which actually contains
> jars is: /usr/local/lib/eclipse/dropins
> Changing this from share to lib doesn't make any changes.
>
> BTW, if I install CDT and pydev from ports, they work.

Try running the following command:
$ find /usr/local/lib/eclipse -type f \! -perm +004

If it finds anything, then chmod those files to be world-readable.
After that start with a clean .eclipse again and things should work.

Maybe you have a different problem.
But if that's it, then eclipse port definitely has to be fixed to (_always_)
install files with correct permissions.

--
Andriy Gapon