eclipse-cdt debugging doesn't work on FreeBSD 7.0 amd64?

Stephane E. Potvin sepotvin at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 10 04:51:02 PST 2008

Mungyung Ryu wrote:
> Hello BSD guys,
>
> My system information is like this.
> - FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE amd64
> - gcc 4.2.1
> - gdb 6.1.1
> - eclipse-cdt-3.1.2_1
>
> I used ports tree to compile and install eclipse-cdt-3.1.2_1.
> Running eclipse and compiling my C++ project are fine.
> But, when I try to debug, an error dialog box pops up and says 'Target
> selection failed'.
> The verbose console mode of the debugger option prints below.

[...gdb messages...]

> The default debugger option of the eclipse is below.
>
> Debugger: gdbserver Debugger
> GDB debugger: gdb
> GDB command file: .gdbinit
> GDB command set: Standard
> Protocol: mi
> Connection
>   Type: Serial
>   Device: /dev/ttyS0
>   Speed: 115200
>
> As the error message says, there is no file or directory at /dev/ttyS0 in my
> system.
>
> I've also tried another debugger connection option like below.
> Connection
>   Type: TCP
>   Host name or IP address: localhost
>   Port number: 10000
>
> It prints message like this.

[...gdb messages...]

> I'm using PF for a firewall and opened TCP connection for port 10000 and
> I even disabled PF, but it has same error.
>
> There is anybody who've had and solved this kind of problem of eclipse?
> I'll really appreciate your solution.
> Going back to the command line gdb is quite miserable.
> I really wanna use eclipse for C++ debugging.

Hi Mungyung,

You might want to try eclipse-devel (ganymede) with cdt installed via
Eclipse update (not via ports). Make sure you select the "Linux
Toolchain" when creating your project and debugging should work fine.
Bug me if something doesn't work.

Steph