java/eclipse update?

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Wed May 7 21:03:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:59:16AM -0700, Mike Bowie wrote:

> >After seeing some progress on the 3.3.2 port the past few months, I
> >was hoping that someone would commit it to java/eclipse-devel, or
> >even java/eclipse. Any possibility of that happening?
>
> Of course, I'd be happy to jump on Jonathan's bandwagon here.
>
> While I hope not to hi-jack the primary message here, I do know that one
> of the issues previously raised with bumping java/eclipse was that of
> the port plugin dependencies.  While this may be a foolish question to
> ask, for the most part, is there really a need for all these plugins to
> be available as ports?  The Eclipse update mechanism serves me well for
> all the plugins I currently use and from what I can see at a glance,

That has not been true in the past.  I've had troubles with the update
mechanisms for eclipse as new as 3.2.1.

> Having the ports there may offer a port lover a quick way to get their
> Eclipse install kitted out, but the list is certainly minor compared
> with the list of plugin's out there; which I'd imagine would lead most
> users to use the update mechanism anyway... and should the user choose
> to update their plugins, the installed port becomes somewhat unnecessary.

True.  If there's ports which just install the plugin (no patches, no
special code, etc.), they should be removed...  so long as the plugin
architecture works for that version of eclipse.  There are added benefits
that you can get the proper plugins for each version of eclipse, as opposed
to having one eclipse-cdt port for java/eclipse and another for
java/eclipse-devel, etc.

> I certainly don't wish this to be perceived as a lack of thanks for the
> porters out there; I'd just like to see java/eclipse closer to the
> current release... not just now, but as we move forward also.

Whatever anybody does, pleasp please *please* keep eclipse-3.2.1 around as
a possible port.  There are so many annoying UI changes in 3.3 that are
driving me insane.  For example, when refactoring the default is to
highlight the word or phrase and let the editor change the name.  This
doesn't work well with the viPlugin.  I'd much rather have the window popup
and ask, as 3.2.1 does.

My suggestion is to keep a java/eclipse321 or java/eclipse32 around which
is the current java/eclipse.

-- Rick C. Petty