Eclipse-Europa Web-browser

Ken Yamada ken at tydfam.jp
Wed Sep 12 22:45:45 PDT 2007

  Mike,

> I don't think it would be clear to the user if we just built based on
> the installed JDK's... in fact if they have multiple versions installed,
> it would become a conundrum.  I'd suggest we add an OPTIONS= entry in
> the Makefile to allow the selection of 1.5, which would then install the
> relevant version (if needed) and set the port dependency accordingly.
> I'm not really sure how the JAVA_HOME thing should be handled though, as
> in my mind, there's nothing to stop a user flicking back and forth...
> although I'm not really keen on setting it statically.  I'm sure someone
> out there who's more in touch with the FreeBSD Java world would have a
> suggestion.

  Actually, work/build uses JAVA_HOME!!  And, I think that FreeBSD ports prohibits to assign jdk automatically wanting it to assign in Makefile.

  I also have another concern about jdk;
    jdk16 runs with jdk15 compiled classes - it must be from business strategy viewpoint.  However, the other way has a problem as you may notice as Gregg suggesting the class file format is different.
    It implies that if you run eclipse 3.3 with jdk15, there might be some plugins compiled by jdk16 that may not run.
    I am not sure if it is correct or not and it is the reason why I created jdk15 version (another reason was that the instruction indicates it is a pies of cake which was not true, though). - I guess that currently available plugins are compiled by jdk15.

  If we can run both at about the same maturity, I think that we'd better stick to jdk16.    It brings potential compiler issues into the consideraiton, and it is not so simple, needs to test at field and may ask people which is more comfortable.

Regards,