Eclipse 3.3.1 build

Jonas Wolz jwolz1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:11:33 PDT 2007

Ken Yamada wrote:
> From: Mike Bowie <mbowie at buzmo.com>
>> One caveat I failed to mention, is that 3.3.1 doesn't build with jdk1.5
>> so far.  The instructions indicate that it should, but Ken hasn't had
>> any success as far as I know and I've not looked at it.

>   * Edit the file build.xml:
>       replacing the tags <property name="javacSource" value="1.6">
>       with <property name="javacSource" value="1.5">
>       and <property name="javacTarget" value="1.6">
>       with <property name="javacTarget" value="1.5">

Just to add another opinion:
For my personal purposes changing that in top-level build.xml was necessary.
As I compiled Eclipse with the 1.6 JDK anyway I did not do any of the other
modifications and it worked for me.
The reason for this is that I am working on a Eclipse RCP application that
has to be Java 1.5 compatible (that particular application actually does
not even compile cleanly with a 1.6 JDK but needs Eclipse 3.3 (and as I am
not the only developer I can't fix that)).

Seemingly the "official" pre-compiled versions from eclipse.org (for Linux
or Windows) have a similar change applied as you can run them using a 1.5
JDK without any problems.

So personally I would prefer to have this integrated into the port.

Jonas