Eclipse 3.3.1 build

Ken Yamada ken at tydfam.jp
Wed Oct 17 20:33:47 PDT 2007

From: Mike Bowie <mbowie at buzmo.com>
> One caveat I failed to mention, is that 3.3.1 doesn't build with jdk1.5
> so far.  The instructions indicate that it should, but Ken hasn't had
> any success as far as I know and I've not looked at it.

  In the instruction.html, it says;
 QUOTE
   3. For the platforms were JDK 1.6 support is not yet available e.g linux-gtk-s390, linux-gtk-s390x the Eclipse SDK can be built with JDK 1.5 in place JDK 1.6.
To do that, please follow the following steps:

  * Edit the file build.xml:
      replacing the tags <property name="javacSource" value="1.6">
      with <property name="javacSource" value="1.5">
      and <property name="javacTarget" value="1.6">
      with <property name="javacTarget" value="1.5">
  * Remove code which compile and package the plugins that require JDK 1.6 currently:
      org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool,
      org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt
      and org.eclipse.jdt.apt.pluggable.core
      from the files features/org.eclipse.jdt/feature.xml
      and features/org.eclipse.jdt/feature.xml.
UNQUOTE

  I am not sure if we pursue compilation with jdk15 from the following three points.
a) jdk16 is available on FreeBSD (incl. -current)
b) eclipse eliminated java5home argument in build script with 3.3.0 which disabled jdk selection.
c) There are binary incompatibility between jdk15 and jdk16.
    jdk15 compiled eclipse-europe may cause problems with plugins compiled with jdk16. (jdk16 compiled one cannot run with jdk15, but the other way is OK).

  If the instruction tells all, addition of jdk15 compilation will be;
a) add 'java5home' argument to build script (back to 3.2.2)
b) rewrite two build.xml(build.xml and features/org.eclipse.jdt/features.xml) so that they conditionally branch by java5home/JAVA_HOME.

  Ant is not my good friend yet, and I am not sure if it is easy or not.