Eclipse-Europa Web-browser

Mike Bowie mbowie at buzmo.com
Thu Oct 4 21:15:36 PDT 2007

Mike Bowie wrote:
> Greg Lewis wrote:
>> Talking to myself again...

>>> Thanks for the pointer Ken, I'll give it a try!

>> Setting WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS is still failing for me, even after updating
>> with the latest patches Ken had.
>>
>> Just in case, are people who are reporting success at building with
>> WITHOUT_GNOMEVFS set actually building on a machine without Gnome
>> installed?  If you're building on a machine with Gnome installed then
>> it doesn't count :).  Same for WITHOUT_CAIRO, WITHOUT_MOZILLA.
>>
>> What I've currently got is at
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~glewis/eclipse-devel.tar.gz
>>
>> if someone wants to take a look at it.
>
> Greg,
>
> Good point... it didn't even cross my mind, I just set the flag, my bad.
>
> I'll see if I can have a crack / debug at it over the weekend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike.
Righto,

It didn't happen over the weekend, and in all fairness, it hardly even
happened tonight.

Greg's comments gave me the last little bit of motivation I needed to
banish Gnome deps from my systems... a task I've been meaning to get to
for some time.  After doing so and verifying the behavior previously
described, I took some time to compare the patch-set we're working with
to that of the current 3.2 port.  What it boiled down to is:

-all: make_swt make_atk make_gnome make_glx
+all: make_swt make_atk $(MAKE_GNOME) make_glx $(MAKE_MOZILLA) $(MAKE_CAIRO)

Clearly the flag controlling the gnome inclusion was overlooked when the
patches were updated.  Now here's the catch... the systems I have
available are both "in bed" with cairo and Firefox so I really can't
speak to the effect of the MAKE_MOZILLA and MAKE_CAIRO flags.  I'd
hazard a guess however, that since they're missing in the current build,
they're not being included as expected... while I haven't looked at it
(remember, I'm in "sloppy mode(tm)" here,) I'm guessing that Ken's
browser patch hooks in elsewhere.

I guess the bottom line is that I have a system here, sans-gnomevfs,
which is building and running the Europa port quite happily.

Rather than roll a whole new tar-ball for this little beauty, I've
posted the updated patch file... just copy it over the existing file of
the same name in the files folder of Ken's latest.  (Or diff the two,
just for laughs.)

Ken's tar-ball: http://www.tydfam.jp/eclipse-europa-dan.tgz
Itsy-bitsy-VFS patch:
http://www.buzmo.com/projects/eclipse-europa-port/post-patch-plugins-swt-gtk-make_freebsd.mak

Interested to know if others have similar success.

OT: I've just received a note from Ken... apparently he's run into some
issues with -CURRENT and is heading for a reinstall of 6.2; so he might
be a bit quiet while he restores his environment.

Cheers,

Mike.