Eclipse 3.1_2 window problems

Mark Hobden markhobden at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 14:24:01 PDT 2005

On 9/23/05, Panagiotis Astithas <past at ebs.gr> wrote:
> Or, equivalently, start eclipse with the -clean option. Furthermore,
> since this seems like a gtk thing, try removing your gtk/gnome
> preference files, or create a new user and try from his account. Another
> interesting thing would be to try to run eclipse with jdk14 instead of
> jdk15. The combination of these three tasks (a new user with jdk14 and
> no eclipse preferences stored) should at least be working.

Thanks for the advice, I have tried unsuccessfully your suggestion
these are the steps I went through:

When I was not having much luck with 1.5.0p2 I uninstalled it at least
until 1.4.2 was working with eclipse again. These are the jdk packages
on my system:
jdk-1.4.2p7_1       Java Development Kit 1.4.2
linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.08_2 Sun Java Development Kit 1.4 for Linux

I deinstalled eclipse then removed the left over directory. I deleted
all .eclipse and workspace folders I could find on this system.

I deleted all gtk packages of my system and tried to find any left
over config files. I commented out every line in my make.conf file.

I then went to /usr/ports/java/eclipse and ran make install.

I added a new user to the system, checked that his home directory had
nothing but the default files (.cshrc, .login, etc).

I then logged in with the new user, started x with a gnome session
loaded eclipse and still had these difficulties. It does not log
anything in the workspace metadata directory or in the .eclipse
folder.

I have started my laptop behaving the same way by starting up eclipse
while logged into the root account. (to use the online plugin update
facility).

This system was originally installed using beta 4 with the 64-bit
packages that were put on the cd by mistake I am pretty certain that I
removed and rebuilt all the bad packages when the system was up and
running. Now I have backed everything backed up, unless you can think
of anything else to try I will perform a fresh install of FreeBSD 6
Beta 5 tomorrow with Gnome, KDE, cvsup packages then update the ports
tree to the latest version. NFS mount the /usr/ports/distfiles
directory install eclipse and see if I still have this problem.

This is what it looks like :-(

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/6540/snapshot19gx.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1601/snapshot28gt.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7968/snapshot34tx.jpg