How should eclipse be organized in the ports tree?

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Thu Sep 1 01:32:30 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 15:01,  the author Vizion contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: How should eclipse be organized in the ports tree?:
Additional comment

>On Wednesday 31 August 2005 13:04,  the author Panagiotis Astithas
> contributed to the dialogue on-

>>> We could do that but the amount of work needed going that route is far
>>> greater than the work involved in developing a generic eclipse loader by
>>> adding additonal plugin feature to eclipse's own loader... think about
>>> it.
>>
>>Now, this seems a bit different from the above. You seem to suggest that
>>we shall modify eclipse's internals to load plugins in our own
>>particular way and that this will be easier than traditional porting
>>work.
>
>It is not so much modifying eclipse internals as writing a plugin that
> extends the functionality of existing plugins.
>
>>Do you have any proof for that? Have you got any WIP code to
>>discuss?
>>Do you even know which classes in eclipse should be modified?
>>Or is this just a "it sounds like a good idea"?
>
>It is more than "it soundslike a good idea but not as far as WIP (Ill
> explain why).
>The "How to write an Eclipse installerin the eclipse help" is as far as I
> have gone in researching a start point.
>On the face of it the concept appears to be do-able. (I am wondering about
>whether *collect.jar files could be used to update an available eclipse
>plugins database on the local computer to be used by the freebsdloader
> plugin to create a li9nk to the standard eclipse install mechanism.
>
>I think it is eminently doable by building on eclipse's existing assets, but
>if the collect.jarfiles were not in a single directory we would not be able
>the files to comply with eclipse system requirements for update sites - and
>we could not use those assets!.
>
>So I suppose I have started from the premise if there is no hope in getting
>the *collect.jar in a single directory then the concept is a non-starter
>unless we were willing to undertake an awful lot of work.

What I see here is the potential to have all the local installation processes
contained in a standard eclipsepluginloader. This approach can cut out a lot
of the work needed to bring plugins into the freebsd port tree.

It is also means that each *collect.jar could include an xml file which could
be used to define properties for its plugin.

>>Panagiotis

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.