Getting started at writting device drivers for FreeBSD

Igor Vilhalba igor.vilhalba at outlook.com
Wed Mar 25 01:38:03 UTC 2020

Hello everyone! I asked the following at Stack Exchange<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/574768/get-started-at-writing-device-drivers-for-freebsd?noredirect=1#comment1070055_574768> and was told to try mailing you for solving this:

" I just decided to give FreeBSD a try last week and found out that my wireless card (Ralink rt3290) isn't supported.

I am good at C - and I know I have to for this task - and am very fond of Assembly, so I am thinking about writing a driver for ir.
However, I have absolutely no experience with driver programming and would like to know your opinion about whether it is feasible or not to do so. I don't know if it helps, but all of the three Linux distros I have installed (Arch, Manjaro and openSUSE) have all the necessary drivers for my machine.

I recently found out that I have a huge interest how the computer and the OSes (mainly *nix) work so I am willing to study deeply any good reading material you can point out for me. Also, if you have any advices and/or experience in the field, I will be grateful for your help.

Thank you very much for your attention and help! I really appreciate it. "

Thank you in advance!

Igor de Araujo Vilhalba