How to map device addresses into user space

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at cyclaero.com
Fri Jan 4 03:00:27 UTC 2013

Am 03.01.2013 um 17:17 schrieb Mehmet Erol Sanliturk:

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Dr. Rolf Jansen <rj at cyclaero.com> wrote:

>> I need to map the Base Address Registers into user space memory, in order to pass the BAR's to the National Instruments Drivers Development Kit (NI-DDK). The DDK is a complex set of C++ classes running in user space, that read/write directly from/into the BAR's.
>>
>> The FreeBSD bus_space_* functions are useless in this respect, because the DDK isn't designed that way, I need the BAR addresses mapped into user space.

> There is the following book:
>
> FreeBSD Device Drivers
>
> Product Details
>
>     Paperback: 352 pages
>     Publisher: No Starch Press; Original edition (May 7, 2012)
>     Language: English
>     ISBN-10: 1593272049
>     ISBN-13: 978-1593272043

Mehmet,

Many thanks for your response.

I know this book. It suggests accessing the PCI registers using Newbus (Chapter 7). Newbus hides away direct reading/writing to the BAR's, and therefore, Newbus is useless in the given respect.

Again, I need the exact PCI Base Address Registers directly mapped into user space, so that I can do in my user space measurement controller something like the following:

  user_space_BAR[0 + funcOffset] &= 0x03;

Best regards

Rolf