Introduction to writing kernel modules

Gerhard Strangar g.s at arcor.de
Sun Jan 29 12:13:43 UTC 2012

Patrick Lamaiziere wrote (2012-01-22 13:57):

> There is a facility for watchdogs, you should use it. You only have to
> register you watchdog in the kernel and watchdogd(8) is used to
> control the watchdog from userland.

I guess the character device is much easier to implement. However, my
current problem is that a manged to compile something and all it does is
crash the kernel. Is there a way of debugging this without going through
reboot and fsck - maybe an intermediate kernel module, a kernel
simluator? I mean, I can'T set up a virtual machine if a want to talk to
real hardware.