Drivers and firmware for an Intel WiFi 1000 series network card

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 14 21:55:45 UTC 2011

On 14/03/2011 19:20, Jesse Smith wrote:
> Good-day,
>
> I hope this is the right list to bring this up. I'm new to FreeBSD and
> I'm trying to get the OS running on my laptop. Everything seems to work
> okay, except for my wireless card. It's an Intel WiFi 1000 series.
>
> >From what I've read, most open source OSes don't include the firmware
> for this device. I'm curious if
>
> A) FreeBSD has the drivers/firmware for this card?
> B) If not, is there anything I can do to help get the required
> driver/firmware?
>
> Hi,
> I believe this uses the iwn driver, the manpage indicates that you would
> want to
> kldload iwn1000fw
> then
> kldload if_iwn
>
> The manpage lists how to make this persistent on boot.

> Vince

Vince,

Thank you for the quick reply. This seems to put me on the right track.
I loaded the files you suggested and my wireless card now shows up in
the output from ifconfig. I'm thinking this is a good sign.

Unfortunately when I bring up the interface and scan for networks with
it, it doesn't find my wireless LAN. I also notice the light on my
laptop indicating the wireless device is working hasn't come on. I'm
thinking maybe the driver is loaded, but not the firmware? At least
based off my experience with Linux, that's my assumption.

Where should I go to trouble-shoot this?

Thank you again,
Jesse