snd_ich and Gens

Pavel Timofeev timp87 at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:34:37 UTC 2010

Hi everyone!

I found the problem a long time ago, but only now writing about it.

My computer (with motherboard asus p4p800-vm) has a sound card.
[root at timbsd ~]# dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> port 0xe800-0xe8ff,0xee80-0xeebf mem
0xfebff800-0xfebff9ff,0xfebff400-0xfebff4ff irq 17 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: [ITHREAD]
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>

I use FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE i386 and snd_ich driver.
It works perfectly. Ussually =)

So, I have installed lastest xorg-7.5 from ports and openbox-3.4.11.1 as WM.

FreeBSD ports have a gaming console emulator Sega, which is called Gens
(/usr/ports/emulators/gens).

I have installed it too.

Always when I run Gens and then start to play, the system begins greatly
hampers (holds, slow down).
CPU utilization increases over 100%.
But when I disable a sound in Gens, all is well. Same situation when I
unload snd_ich.

This problem is not related with the video subsystem.
I tried different video cards (ati and nvidia, and of course the latest
drivers from ports), but got the same result.

On another system with other sound card all os ok!

Maybe I need write to another mailing list?
If you have any ideas please help!