How do I pass configuration parameters to a FreeBSD Device Driver ?

David Somayajulu david.somayajulu at qlogic.com
Thu Jun 4 02:28:12 UTC 2009

Larry Maloney wrote:
> David Somayajulu wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I would appreciate if you could let me know, how I can pass
> configuration parameters to a device driver, which can be processed
> during either probe() or attach() ? Is there a way to read them from a
> conf file of some sort ? Basically, I am interested in setting some
> tunable parameters during driver initialization, without needing to
> recompile the driver every time.
> >
> > thanks
> > david Somayajulu

> Isn't that what the hints file is for?

Sorry, I am sort of new to FreeBSD. From what I understand /boot/device.hints gets read during boot time, the values cannot be changed by the user while the kernel is running - am I correct ?

I have a loadable driver module and would like to do the following:
1. Set some tunable parameters of the driver.
2. Load the driver. Run a few tests.
3. Unload the driver.
4. repeat steps 1 thru 3.