debugging network device driver

Tesch Zoltan clamav at citromail.hu
Sun Feb 22 00:27:12 PST 2009

Hi,

I have just tried to port SiS190 Linux driver to FreebBSD. It seems to
me that this driver looks like r8169 and for this reason my port is
based on the "re" device driver of FreeBSD 6.4.
I can load the module, attach to SiS190 device, miibus and phy but when
I try to set up the interface with ifconfig (ifconfig sis0 up) the
computer freezes. I have tried to print status information from my
driver (using printf`s in the code) but the last record in the log is
that miibus_readreg returned a good value, no other record is logged
into the system log.

My questions:
Is there any way to switch to kernel debug mode in this situation to see
what happened or is it possible to run  the module under the supervision
of kernel debugger running on the machine, because this laptop has no
serial line or any other network interface.

Thanks

Zoltan