how to program a driver?

Gaye Abdoulaye Walsimou walsimou at walsimou.com
Tue Dec 9 04:02:43 PST 2008

Espartano wrote:
> hi people first and foremost apologize me for my bad english I have a
> little question, if i want to understand how work a net driver, what
> things i will need to learn?
>
> Actually i know how to program with C language in a basic level but i
> don't know nothing about hardware or computer organization, what
> topics i should study for gain knowledges about net-drivers ? or if
> someone can recommend me books about this topic  i will be very
> thankful.
>
> thanks in advance.

Unfortunately FreeBSD is poorly documented when it's about driver and
kernel programming, compared to Linux (in my humble opinion). That's
why, to begin learning and experimenting, I recommand you to start with
Linux.
3 books:
Linux Device Drivers
Building Embedded Linux Systems (for embedded systems)
Understanding the Linux Kernel

Regards