first time module dev question: undefined reference to 'memset'

Michael Iedema michael at askozia.com
Tue Sep 25 04:10:31 PDT 2007

Hello again,

> >  what about s/patchmenset/.BEGIN/ and s/unpatchememset/.END/ ?
>
> Thanks! Everything's building nicely and it's now cleaning up after itself.

It's clear to me now that building cleanly is still not the end of the
road here. My module "OSLEC" is loading and being recognized by a
module depending on it "Zaptel." This dependent module is also being
recognized and correctly utilized by the Asterisk process in my
project. However, as soon as the echo canceller (OSLEC) is activated
by Asterisk it page faults.

I'm thinking that the symbols that zaptel needs from oslec are not
being recognized, or additional libkern functions need to be patched
in.

I've provided below as much information as I can. Can anyone help me
take the next step in debugging this?

Thanks for your patience on this. I'm trying.

Regards,
-Michael I.

The page fault message:

fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc04f3867
stack pointer = 0x28:0xcd4f19d8
frame pointer = 0x28:0xcd4f19e8
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IPOL = 0
current process	= 198 (asterisk)
trap number = 12
panic: page fault

Following this page[1] I see that the IP is closest to:

c04f3808 T __mac_set_file
c04f3814 T __mac_set_link
c04f3820 T mac_syscall
c04f382c T malloc_last_fail
c04f383c t malloc_type_zone_allocated
c04f38a8 T malloc_type_allocated
c04f38c8 T malloc_type_freed

Symbols missing from my oslec and zaptel kernel modules are as follows:

oslec
U M_DEVBUF
U free
U malloc