first time module dev question: undefined reference to 'memset'

Michael Iedema michael at askozia.com
Fri Sep 21 06:56:08 PDT 2007

Greetings everyone,

I'm undertaking the seemingly simple task of porting a Linux kernel
module to FreeBSD. I say simple because it is merely a wrapper used to
expose some functions to another module.

The code I'm porting is OSLEC[1] a line echo canceller module that is
used by Zaptel and Asterisk. My current problem is an undefined
reference to 'memset' when I attempt to load the cleanly compiled
module.

There is a lengthy discussion about this error here[2] but I could
find no conclusive remedy. My wrapper module links with code from
another library and it is causing the problems in kernel land.

Here is my module so far: http://pastebin.ca/705865
...and my broken Makefile: http://pastebin.ca/705871

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very
appreciated. I realize that I am out of my league dealing with kernel
modules but the porting process looked easy enough. As with most new
adventures, this has proved untrue.

Thanks for your time,
-Michael I.

[1] - http://www.rowetel.com/ucasterisk/oslec.html