SDHCI Device Driver (first steps)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Sep 18 04:27:10 PDT 2006

Marian Asokarajan wrote:
 > I'm trying to write an universal SD Host-Controller Device Driver,
 > which I'd like to contribute to the FreeBSD community.

That's very cool!

 > So far the driver is able to recognize SD card insertion and removal.
 > Via a device node (/dev/sdhci0), it's also possible to dump
 > the SDHC's register set.
 >
 > Could someone please help testing the code ?
 > The kernel module and sources can be download here:
 > http://www.sashi.de/downloads/freebsd/sdhci/sdhcidd-0.0.1.tbz
 > * NOTE: The driver is experimental and might crash your system!

For which version of FreeBSD is it?  I'm running RELENG_6 on
my notebook, which has two such slots (one for SD cards and
one Sony memory sticks).  If your driver works on RELENG_6,
I can try it when I have some free time.

none3 at pci6:9:2: class=0x080500 card=0xc01a144d chip=0x08221180 rev=0x17 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Ricoh Co Ltd'
    device   = 'SD Bus Host Adapter'
    class    = base peripheral
none4 at pci6:9:3: class=0x088000 card=0xc01a144d chip=0x05921180 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Ricoh Co Ltd'
    device   = 'Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter'
    class    = base peripheral

It's a Samsung X20-XVM 1600-V notebook (Pentium-M / Centrino
with i915 chipset).  I like it very much, because all of the
components are supported by FreeBSD, except for the SD and
memory stick slots.  I don't have any memory sticks, so I
don't care, but I do have an SD card which I use with my
Zaurus PDA (running Linux), and it would be very nice to
access it directly with the notebook, without having to use
a USB cardreader.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson