help regarding : To recieve and tranmit packet th' an interface

Sergey Babkin babkin at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 09:13:12 PDT 2005

>From: rashmi ns <nsrashmi at gmail.com>

>Hello List-members,
>we are writing a driver for HDLC-Controller We have coded upto some extent
>and actully we are able to transmit and recieve a char buff in loopback
>(from inside a driver).
>But we want to tranmit/Rx a real packet in (mbuf structure) and test our
>code .As it is a HDLC controller does'nt have std MAC ADDRRSS . How can i
>actually achieve a packet transmition and reception .Are there some drivers
>which does the same

All the point-to-point interfaces don't have a MAC address.
You don't need it since there is only one place
to which you can write data, into the port.

Well, the problems start when you want to establish
X.25 connections. Then you use the X.25 address similarly
to a MAC address. But since usually the X.25 connections
are static, you set up your table of connections
and the translation table between the target IP
address and X.25 address, similar to ARP but static.

-SB