Recommended ways to log driver operations

Bharma Ji bharmaji at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:25:28 PDT 2005

Hi
I recently wrote a driver for a chip. I am wondering if there are any
standard recommended ways of logging the driver operations. I have used
printf in the driver and I look at it using dmesg so far. Am wondering if it
is possible to create a driver specific log file so that it is easy to
debug. Also, if the driver emits copious output then the log buffer will
overflow and some messages may be truncated. Writing to a specific log file
may help in that case. However, I have no idea if this is worth
investigating. Any suggestions appreciated