How to make my new driver be configurable in the kernel configuration file?

Yong Ma mayong at mail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:56:47 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Baldwin" <jhb at freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-drivers at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: How to make my new driver be configurable in the kernel configuration file?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:21:59 -0500

> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 03:59 am, Yong Ma wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I wrote and debuged my driver for a new device in KLD mode,now I want to
> > plug it into the kernel,so that it can be loaded when the system  boots,and
> > make it be configurable in the kernel configuration file like other device
> > driver as "device XXX",I don't know what to do,could anyone be kind to help
> > me?
>
> To add your driver you update the src/sys/conf/files* files.  If your driver
> is machine independent, you can add it to src/sys/conf/files.  For example,
> here are the lines in sys/conf/files for the cy(4) driver:
>
> dev/cy/cy.c                     optional cy
> dev/cy/cy_isa.c                 optional cy isa
> dev/cy/cy_pci.c                 optional cy pci
>
> If your driver only works on a single architecture (such as i386) then add it
> to the architecture file sys/conf/files.<arch> (e.g. sys/conf/files.i386).
> The device names after 'optional' specify which devices must be enabled in
> the kernel config for that file to be included.  Thus, in the example above,
> src/sys/dev/cy/cy.c is included as long as 'device cy' is in the kernel, but
> src/sys/dev/cy/cy_isa.c is only included if both 'device cy' and 'device isa'
> are in the kernel config file.
>
> --
> John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> "Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =  http://www.FreeBSD.org

Thank you! I did as that but came across some problems,these are the jobs and the errors:

 1) I copyed the files to the sys/dev/mydevice and added "dev/mydevice/mydevice.c   optinonal mydevice" in the file /usr/src/sys/conf/files.i386,and added a line "device mydevice" in the sys/i386/conf/MYKERNEL(a copy of GENERIC),but met a error when config MYKERNEL:syntax error (the line I just added).

 2) Then,I modified line in files.i386 as "dev/mydevice/mydevice.c   standard",configed successfully,but another error occured when make depend(make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL the same):
     ../../../dev/mydevice/mydevice.c:27:20: mydevice.h: No such file or directory
     ../../../dev/mydevice/mydevice.c:28:44: mydevicekern.h: No such file or directory
     ../../../dev/mydevice/mydevice.c:29:49: mydeviceioctl.h: No such file or directory
     mkdep: compile failed
     *** Error code 1
and the source code of mydevice.c is as follows:
      #include "sjy22b.h"
      #include "sjy22bkern.h"
      #include "sjy22bioctl.h"
the three headers are just in the sys/dev/mydevice directory,I don't know why this happened.
Need your suggestion!

Thanks
Yong