Handbook Section: 4.2.1 | Suggested Revision(s)

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 1 14:01:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, Nick Casey wrote:

> Section 4.2.1, "Virtual Consoles", recommends using Alt+F# for accessing
> the virtual consoles outlined by /etc/ttys. I found, using 10.1-RELEASE
> with a generic AMD64 kernel and NVIDIA's GeForce 500 Series (non-notebook)
> driver, that said advice is insufficient. Me and several others have found
> that using Ctrl+Alt+F# is effective in this regard.

My recollection is that the Ctrl+Alt combination is only needed while
switching from X; for switching between different text-mode virtual
consoles, just Alt+F# suffices.

Which is not to say that the documentation should not be changed, of
course.

-Ben Kaduk