Request for review: 9.3-RELEASE release notes

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 03:34:06 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Earlier today, I connected the 9.3-RELEASE release notes to the build.
> The document is available at:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.3R/relnotes.html
>
> Reviews on the document would be greatly appreciated, patches for
> incorrect information even more.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Glen
> On behalf of:   re@

Is there a possibility to add the following paragraph from

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-June/079024.html

if it is not supported in release ISO :

"
Note to consumers of the dvd1.iso image: The version of bsdconfig(8) in
the releng/9.3 branch does not yet support pkg(7)-format packages.  This
is planned to be fixed in -RC2.

While there are packages available on the dvd1.iso image, they cannot
yet be installed with bsdconfig(8).  They can be installed manually,
however.

To install packages from the dvd1.iso installer, create and mount the
/dist directory:

    # mkdir -p /dist
    # mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /dist

Next, install pkg(8) from the DVD:

    # env REPOS_DIR=/dist/packages/repos \
        pkg add /dist/packages/freebsd:9:*:*/All/pkg-*.txz

At this point, pkg-install(8) can be used to install additional packages
from the DVD.  Please note, the REPOS_DIR environment variable should be
used each time using the DVD as the package repository, otherwise
conflicts with packages from the upstream mirrors may occur when they
are fetched.  For example, to install the Subversion, Gnome, and Xorg,
run:

    # env REPOS_DIR=/dist/packages/repos \
        pkg install subversion gnome2 xorg

 "