HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 17 20:06:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-17 16:00, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 17 July 2014 12:57, Andreas Nilsson <andrnils at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> 3) The binary packages need to work out of the box
>>> 4) .. which means, when you do things like pkg install apache, it
>>> can't just be installed and not be enabled, because that's a bit of a
>>> problem;
>>
>> I disagree on this. For network services on linux ( apart from ssh ), I want
>> that started very seldom. But I do want the package installed so that when I
>> need it, it is there. Having it autostart as part of being installed is
>> breaking KISS and in some way unix philosophy: I asked for something to be
>> installed, not installed and autostarted.
>
> That's cool. We can disagree on that. But the fact that you have to
> edit a file to enable things and hope you get the right start entry in
> /etc/rc.conf or /usr/local/etc/rc.conf, or wherever you put it is, is
> a pain.
>

> -a

You can actually do files in /etc/rc.conf.d/appname

However those files are only included when you do 'service appname start'

So you can't just put random settings in /etc/rc.conf.d/adrian

I can't make puppet include denyhosts_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.d/sshd

But, a /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d/ could be used to enable-on-install, if
we wanted to lean in that direction. I am a little divided on that. I
don't like the fact that linux enables stuff by default as soon as you
install it.

--
Allan Jude