docs/144515: [handbook] Expand handbook Table of contents

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Thu Jan 23 01:53:35 UTC 2014

gabor at FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Synopsis: [handbook] Expand handbook Table of contents
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> State-Changed-By: gabor
> State-Changed-When: Wed Jan 22 14:37:11 UTC 2014
> State-Changed-Why:
> Currently, the TOC has three levels: part, chapter and section.  I am afraid
> that expanding more levels would be to verbose and thus affect usability.
> It is possible to download full PDF or HTML where you can use the search
> functions. Alternatively, you can use the index, however it needs some
> impriovements.
>

> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-doc->gabor
> Responsible-Changed-By: gabor
> Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Jan 22 14:37:11 UTC 2014
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> Currently, the TOC has three levels: part, chapter and section.  I am afraid
> that expanding more levels would be to verbose and thus affect usability.
> It is possible to download full PDF or HTML where you can use the search
> functions. Alternatively, you can use the index, however it needs some
> impriovements.

I don't think you read or understood the pr. All the sub-sections are
not findable, meaning there hidden. Expanding the TOC just one more
level to include the sub-sections is required to make the complete
contents accessible from the TOC just like any other professionally
published book.

I though the goal of the handbook was to be usable and here we have our
main documentation looking like something created by people who don't
even know the normal standard parts of a published document or the
professional way to organize content.

Closing this pr with the suggestion that users should use some other
method to search the handbook is just ludicrous and sounds like it's
nothing but a effort to shorten the open doc pr list with the least
amount of work.

What every happened to one's pride in one's workmanship?
After the FreeBSD website isn't the handbook the second most accessed
element of the FreeBSD world seen by the public? The image and
reputation of FreeBSD are at stake here. This pr is very important in
modernizing the handbook and should have bee opened up for discussion
among all the doc members and only closed by agreement of the doc team
and not out of hand by someone who in my opinion is misusing their
commit privileges in this case.